Haven’t posted for a year or so. A lot of new subjects and techniques have been tried during this time. I started 2015 with an interest in painting animals – first I painted some hippos from a photograph taken by my daughter. During the Christmas break in 2014, went driving through NSW and stayed at Mudgee for a few days. It is a lovely area, and we stopped to take some photos of three gorgeous clydesdale horses looking at us over a fence near the road. this led to my craze to draw horses. I have painted the three i saw near Mudgee, and also a number of paintings of racehorses training at Newcastle, and later being prepared for a race at Taree racecourse.
In April, whilst in Sydney, I was walking along a main road in Surry Hills on my way to see Brett Whitley’s gallery. It was raining, and at one intersection, there were two policewomen on horseback, dressed in their yellow police raincoats. by the time I got my iPad out to take a photo, i only managed to get them going away from me. I took a couple of great photos, and used one as my reference for a painting called “Police Presence #1”
A major exhibition I was working towards was a curated exhibition by members of Hastings Valley Fine Art Association at the Port Macquarie Glasshouse in early 2016, with the submission date late November 2015. (We did one in 2014 called “under the influence”
The exhibition is called “Pathways to Abstraction”. HVFAA’s submission was to provide two paintings: one in our normal style, and the second to be an abstraction of that work, to be done in the same size and medium as the original. Our preparation has been fairly intense. the association’s submission was accepted, and we had about 18 months to work towards our goal. I attended a number of workshops on abstract painting.
I decided to use my Police Presence #1 as an example of my painting in my usual style. I did so because I liked the painting and its subject, and it had proved popular at an equine exhibition at Taree show ground on the horse’s birthday celebration (1 August). I worked on the painting a little more, making some changes, such as highlights, and adding a background to suggest city buildings.
I then turned my attention to the abstract. I tried a few experiments, which I will attach here to demonstrate my process. One attempt which I really liked was where I painted a horse’s head and the rider’s head with a common eye. i wanted to express the oneness that I felt existed between horse and rider – I may well finish that painting and frame it one day!
Eventually, I painted my abstract with large bold figures and colours. i really enjoyed the process and the result. i felt a sense of freedom of expression and was able to show an interrelationship both between the riders and their horses. My entries were accepted, and tomorrow, I deliver my paintings to the Glasshouse. The opening night is a week away.